Gen­er­al Ques­tions

Who can I con­tact in case of any ques­tions?

Please contact the Course guidance of Mechanical Engineering.

Is the course od stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing very dif­fi­cult?

It is a challenge, as you will visit a variety of lectures you need to work on. This will be rewarded with the practical understanding of physical effects. In your every-day-life you will be able to find things in common, which will again help you to learn your study contents.

Is the course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing ad­mis­sion-lim­ited? Is there a Nu­mer­us Clausus (NC)?

The course of studies Mechanical Engineering is not admission-limited.

What are the en­trance re­quire­ments for the Course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing in Pader­born?

In order to enroll for the Course of studies Mechanical Engineering at the University of Paderborn you need the general matriculation standard (Abitur), a subject-related entrance qualification or a technical college degree. If you fulfill the requirements you may enroll for winter term. If you enroll with a technical college degree you need to provide further performances.

When can I ap­ply for the course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing at the Uni­ver­sity of Pader­born?

In general the matriculation deadline for the winter term in the course of studies Mechanical Engineering lasts from mid June to the 10th of September each year. You should send your application documents to the registrar’s office to the 15th of July. More information on enrolment can be found on online on the pages of the registrar’s office, the consultant for students of Mechanical Engineerings is Patrick Moll.

Is there an ad­vanced course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing at the Uni­ver­sity of Pader­born?

No, we offer the Master Degree Course instead.

How is the re­la­tion­ship between pro­fess­ors and stu­dents?

As the University of Paderborn is a rather manageable Campus University, it is characterized by rather ‘personal’ relationships between professors, lecturers and students.

Are bridge courses in math­em­at­ics, Ger­man and Eng­lish com­puls­ory?

Yes, if you enroll with a technical college degree for the diploma programe DII or the Bachelor-Course. The courses start 4 weeks before the semester starts. Precise dates can be found in the course catalog. 

Can I re­gister without hav­ing fully com­pleted the in­tern­ship?

In general the internship of 12 weeks is a requirement for the Bachelor’s Degree. However, various reasons may allow students to do it only partially before they start their studies. You will need to fill out a document. Reasons can be insufficient time since you decided to study, unsuccessful efforts getting an internship or illness. In these cases you need to have done the internship not later than to the start of your bachelor’s thesis.

Do I have o ex­pect crowded lec­ture halls in the course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing?

No. Especially in the field of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering you do not need to worry about crowded lecture halls as these are overcrowded only rarely.

How long is the av­er­age stand­ard study peri­od in the Course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing?

For the Bachelor course of studies the Standard study period is 6 semesters and for the Master course of studies it is 4 semesters. The average study period for the Bachelor’s Degree Course is 7 semesters, the Master is done within 3 semesters by lots of students.  

When does the Course of stud­ies Mech­an­ic­al En­gin­eer­ing start?

The Bachelor-Course of studies Mechanical Engineering starts in winter term. A orientation week is offered mid Octobre. You may enroll to the Master Degree course in winter and summer term.

Can a tech­nic­al edu­ca­tion I did be­fore help?

Yes, it allows you a much easier understanding of the content to be learned.

Is an ad­vanced course in math­em­at­ics and/or phys­ics any help?

Yes, it allows you an easier start into the studies. However, you still need to deal with the course content. The first semester is one to raise all students to one level and therefore form the basis for the following semesters. It is therefore possible, to study Mechanical Engineering without having done one of these advanced courses at school.

Ques­tions con­cern­ing the ba­sic stud­ies

How long do the ba­sic stud­ies take?

In general they take 4 semesters. It is successfully completed if you passed all your exams. Basic contents and methods Mechanical Engineering shall be conveyed.

What per­form­ances do I have to do in my ba­sic stud­ies?

Please check the study manuals for the bachelor degree course.

Is my tech­nic­al edu­ca­tion ap­proved as a sub­sti­tute for an in­tern­ship?

In general, an education is accepted as an internship. It is important that you are able to proof the durations in individual fields of work and that you have written appropriate work records. Furthermore, you need to have performed the required actions practically and not only theoretically. Not the Course guidance of Industrial Engineering, but the internship associates of the faculty of Mechanical Engineering / Electrical Engineering are responsible for the approval.

What is a (SWS)? What are ECTS?

A lecture that is held on one day per week with a scope of 2h per week has a scope of 2 SWS, if it is held at 2 days a week with a scope of 2h each, it is 4 SWS. ECTS are credit points that are accepted across Europe. 1 ECTS equals a workload of 30 hours. In general, 1 semester comprises 30 ECTS.

When and how do I en­roll for ex­ams?

See here.

Can I de­re­gister an ex­am?

See here.

How do I know if I am re­gistered for an ex­am?

See here.

Who can I con­tact in case of any ques­tions?

Please feel free to contact the Course guidance Mechanical Engineering.

What if I missed the en­rol­ment peri­od? Can I still do ex­ams?

No, that is not possible.

When can I start do­ing ex­ams from my in-depth stud­ies?

The exam regulations for the Bachlor of Mechanical Engineering v1 determine that you may take exams in the in-depth studies if you only need to do one more exam from your basic studies. If there are more courses left to do, you need the approval of the Audit Committee chairman.

The exam regulations Bachelor v2 determine that with any number of basic studies courses still to do you still can do exams in the in-depth studies; this includes students who started their studies in winter term 2010/2011.

What if I did not pass a sub­ject?

In your basic studies you are offered one exam per semester. You do not need to worry; you may do the exam again the following semester.

In your in-depth studies there are subjects that can only be offered with an exam once per year. You may take an oral exam the following semester.

After your second attempt you have a last chance to pass the exam. This will always be oral. The date will be arranged with the examiner at least two weeks beforehand and registered in the Examination office. If you do not pass this exam, you are no longer authorized for your studies, unless a request of cancellation is successful and you get a 2nd third attempt. You may also change the course of studies if you do not pass special exams. You may also request a change of your basic or compulsory module and get your courses so far credited as extracurricular studies or within the new module if possible.

Ques­tions con­cern­ing in-depth stud­ies

Who sets the top­ic for re­search pro­jects dip­loma, Bach­el­or- and Mas­ter­’s Theses?

Topics are hang out from the chairs of the faculty for Mechanical Engineering or given on request. You may also suggest topics. Otherwise, assignments for Bachelor- or Master theses are hand out solely by responsible professors. Companies or other extern institutions cannot offer but suggest theses. If you intend to write your thesis in a company or another extern institution, you need to obtain permission of your responsible (PO: "examiner") and to coordinate the assignment and modalities with him.

Kann ich Mas­ter­leis­tun­gen bereits im Bach­el­or vorziehen? Welche Voraus­set­zun­gen müssen dafür ggf. er­füllt sein?

Wer in den Bachelor Maschinenbau der Universität Paderborn eingeschrieben ist, kann unter folgenden Voraussetzungen vorzeitig Prüfungen aus dem Masterstudiengang Maschinenbau ablegen:

- mindestens 152 abschlussrelevante Leistungspunkte im Bachelorstudium erworben
- vollständig erbrachtes und anerkanntes Praktikum
- Umfang der vorzuziehenden Masterleistungen überschreiten 30 Leistungspunkte nicht

Falls Sie Masterprüfungen vorzeitig belegen wollen, stellen Sie bitte einen Antrag an den Prüfungsausschuss.

Das Vorziehen von Masterprüfungen ist nur einmalig in einem Semester möglich!
Durch das Vorziehen von Masterprüfungen hat die bzw. der Studierende kein Anrecht auf Einschreibung in den Masterstudiengang und auch kein Anrecht auf eine bestimmte Prüfungsordnung. Das Vorziehen geschieht auf eigenes Risiko der bzw. des Studierenden. Weiterhin bewirkt das Vorziehen von Masterprüfungen keine automatische Einschreibung in den Masterstudiengang. Die Einschreibung in den Masterstudiengang muss von den Studierenden fristgerecht beim Studierendensekretariat vorgenommen werden. 

When can I start my Dip­loma, Bach­el­or- or Mas­ter­’s Thes­is?

The Diploma, Bachelor- or Master’s Thesis basically is the last test performance in the corresponding course of studies. All other exams need to be passed and performances as internships or courses need to be done in order to register for your final thesis. An admission is also possible if not more than 2 performances are missing and if it is predictable that you can repeat these without an impairment of your study progress.  

Can I write my pro­ject work in a com­pany?

Yes, if you find a supervisor at the University.

I put a fo­cus on the field X in my Bach­el­or stud­ies. Can I fo­cus on the field Z in my Mas­ter stud­ies?

Yes, you may change the topic of your in-depth studies. We recommend catching up the bachelor content, either in form of extracurricular studies or as a voluntary additional performance.

When am I au­thor­ized to do my doc­tor­ate?

After successful Mechanical Engineering Studies with the diploma DII (Dipl.-Ing.) and the master degree (M.-Sc) you may do your doctorate in Mechanical Engineering.

Who can I con­tact in case of any ques­tions?

Please feel free to contact the Course guidance Mechanical Engineering.