Sie haben Javascript deaktiviert!
Sie haben versucht eine Funktion zu nutzen, die nur mit Javascript möglich ist. Um sämtliche Funktionalitäten unserer Internetseite zu nutzen, aktivieren Sie bitte Javascript in Ihrem Browser.

Show image information
Show image information
Show image information
Show image information
Show image information

FAQ Master’s Degree Course

What performances do I need to do in the master’s degree course?

n overview of the Eine Übersicht über die course content can be found in the study manual.

How long does the master’s degree course take?

It has a standard study period of 4 semesters, in which you need to participate at several technical and industrial modules and to write a Student research project and Master’s Thesis. You successfully complete your studies if all test performances and the Student research project and Master’s Thesis are finished successfully. You are provided knowledge to be enabled to work in a scientific manner on chosen areas of Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering as well as Business Administration.

Which grade point average do I at least need to have for an enrolment to the Master Industrial Engineering /Mechanical Engineering?

For students of a comparable course of studies with bachelor’s thesis the Master Course of Studies Industrial Engineering /Mechanical Engineering is admission free.  

For Students of German universities the equivalence to the Bachelor’s Degree Course Industrial Engineering of the University of Paderborn needs to be proven.

Is there a deadline for enrolling to the Master Course of Studies Industrial Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering as a Bachelor’s Degree student of the University of Paderborn?

Please find these information on the Homepage.

What is the difference between modules and courses?

Modules are compulsory and compulsory optional modules that are composed of single lectures you can choose.

A course is a lecture, training or internship.

What is a Credit Point (LP)?

You receive Credit points for every single course. One credit point equals a workload of 30 hours. It consists of visiting the lecture, preparation and follow-up of the single lectures and self-studies. In your master studies you need to get 120 LP.

When and how do I register for exams?

Usually you have 14 days to register for exams and it takes place during the semester. Precise dates are declared in front of the Examination office (Room B0.324). The registration takes place via PAUL- the central organization- and action platform of the University of Paderborn. You can enroll during the time between the terms when the courses are offered before they start.

Can I cancel an exam?

Yes. Up to one week before the exam you may cancel the exam without the need to mention any reasons.

What if I cannot take an examination because of illness?

In this case you need to hand in a medical certificate at the Examination office not later than 3 days after the exam date. The doctor needs to sign the certificate not later than the day the exam takes place. He also has to determine the inability to take an examination.

How do I get to know if I am enrolled for an exam?

After the enrolment period the Examination Office hangs out registration lists. On this list you can find the students (matriculation number) who have enrolled for an exam. Additionally, you can find these data in the electronic course catalog online.

What if I missed the enrolment period? Can I still do exams?

No, that is not possible.

What if I do not pass a module?

For further information please check the Exam regulations.

Can Study performances of other universities for the Course of studies WING be credited in Paderborn?

Yes. You need to visit the responsible professors to get your single test performances credited. The professor decides if the performance is credited restrictedly, unrestrictedly or not at all.

Do I need to do an internship for the Master’s Degree Course?

The industrial internship is a requirement to register for the Master’s Thesis with the range of 10 weeks.

Who sets the topic for research projects and the master’s thesis?

You can suggest topics. Otherwise, assignments for Bachelor- or Master theses are hand out solely by responsible professors. Companies or other extern institutions cannot offer but suggest theses. If you intend to write your thesis in a company or another extern institution, you need to obtain permission of your responsible (PO: "examiner") and to coordinate the assignment and modalities with him.

Can I write my research project/ master’s thesis together with a fellow student?

You may write the bachelor’s thesis with fellow students, if single paragraphs and authors can be clearly assigned to them.

When can I start with my project paper/ Master’s Thesis?

Requirements for an admission to the Master’s Thesis are a successfully completed project paper and the industrial internship. Futhermore, 80 credit points are necessary to admit the  Master’s Thesis.

Will I get a grade for the project paper?

Yes, and it will have a scope of 15 LP. The written part will amount 12 LP and the colloquium 3 LP.

How many credits do I get for the Master’s Thesis?

You will get 22 LP and for the colloquium of the Master’s Thesis 3 LP.

What options do I have to study abroad?

You have the option to apply for a semester abroad at one of our partner universities with the help of the University of Paderborn. Of course you may choose the university abroad. We recommend arranging with your professors about the course contents abroad in advance, as they are responsible for the crediting.

For further information concerning application periods and financing please feel free to contact the International Office.

Is the Master of Science a qualification for a promotion?

Yes, with a successful master degree in Industrial engineering.

The University for the Information Society